Not sure what to include in your resume? Answer these questions to zero in on your most valuable skills and experiences:
- How many years experience in your field do you have? (You can be general if it’s many , as in “More than 20 years experience…”)
- What specific skills have you developed?
- Are you a Subject Matter Expert at work or in your field? Do others at work or elsewhere, come to you for any particular kind of help?
- What computer platforms, operating systems and software programs do you know?
- What other tools do you use or have you used in your job?
- Have you ever published an article or report in your company or professional association newsletter?
- Have you ever given a presentation or provided training to anyone at work or in the community about a professional topic?
- Do you have any two-year, four-year or post graduate degrees? Was your grade point noteworthy? Were you on the Dean’s List?
- If you don’t have a degree, did you complete any college coursework in areas related to your field?
- What foreign languages do you know and what is your level of skill in each?
- Have you ever studied or worked in a foreign country?
- Do you have military experience? Discharge? Duties? Accomplishments? Medals, citations, commendations?
Responsibilities, activities, results:
- How many people did you supervise? Hire? Train? Mentor?
- How large a budget did you manage?
- How many departments were you responsible for, and where?
- To whom do you report (title only)?
- What was the highest level of supervisor or executive in the company to whom you reported or with whom you communicated?
- Have you been involved in any strategic or quality programs at your company? What was your role, and what were the results?
- Have you served as a liaison or mediator between groups or individuals?
- Were you involved in creating, reviewing, adjusting or implementing policies or procedures?
- Were you a key player in the delivery of a product or service?
- Did you communicate with customers? How?
- Were you on any proposal teams? Did the proposal succeed?
- What other results did you achieve individually or as part of a team? (Think of quantifiable results such as money earned or saved, time saved, market share captured, etc.)
- Were you back-up for anyone?
- Did you conduct any surveys or studies?
- Did you prepare recommendations?
- Did you design or manage any processes, systems, or projects?
- Did you organize any events, conferences, meetings?
- Were you invited to give a speech or presentation on a professional topic?
- Did you consult for anyone inside or outside the organization?
- What kind of written and verbal communication did you participate in?
- Have you received any monthly or annual awards for top performance? Give details.
- Were you recognized in any other way for top performance? By whom?
- Were you promoted ahead of the usual rate?
- Did you break any company records?
- Were you recognized for your work by any local, regional or national organizations or publications?
- Were you selected to take part in any special skill development programs at the company?